On the left hand side of the Marktplatz (market square) is one of the town’s most beautiful half-timbered houses. The “Alte Amtskellerei” (“The Provost’s Office”), as the building is also called, was built in 1542 by the Mainz Bailiff Bernhard von Hardheim in the late gothic style on an older building’s footing. In 1625 the house was bought for future use as the seat of the Mainz Electorate’s administration. It now houses the museum of the town of Miltenberg (Museum.Stadt.Miltenberg) with a rich collection of municipal and county property with view to its cultural history including the Roman period.
The “Bayerischer Museumspreis” (“Bavarian Museum Prize”) which was awarded in 1999 is well-deserved! The history of the 450-years-old building fabric alone is worth a visit. The permant exhibition was carefully designed with much attention to detail. It is continuously complemented by intriguing special exhibitions, speeches and events (link is in German only).
Further detailed information on the museum can be found here!
Museum der Stadt Miltenberg
16th March to 1st November: Tue – Sun 10.00-17.30 h
2nd November to 14th January: Wed – Sun 11.00-16.00 h
15th January to 15th March: Winter break
Guided tours are also available outside the opening hours.