Kleinheubach first was mentioned in 877 when King Louis III signed a certificate in “Heydebah” (Kleinheubach). Nevertheless, it has been verified by numerous grave findings that the local subdistrict had already been populated during the Neolithic Age.
Historic Roman Fort and Wallhausen
Historically certified, the Castellum “Old Town” was located at the park exit towards Miltenberg, used by a cohort of Roman soldiers, serving as the corner bastion of the Limes (border of the Roman Empire), located at a passage between the so called wet and dry Limes. After the attack of the Alemanni, approximately around 260AC, the Franconians set out from the Rhine and conquered the Main Valley. On top of the ruins of the former Roman Castellum “Old Town”, a city named Wallhausen was then founded, but destroyed again around 1247, while fighting for its hegemony between the Archbishop of Mainz, the Count Palatine of the Rhine, and the Counts of Rieneck. Most inhabitants moved to Miltenberg seeking shelter behind firm city walls and the castle. Kleinheubach, being neighbor to Wallhausen, was predominantly located in the Main Valley, along the historic escort road Nuremberg-Frankfurt and the important Main-River-Ford, securing the crossing of the Main-River towards the so-called Eselsweg (Donkey trail). Kleinheubach was crownland and administered by the Count Palatine of the Rhine who enfeoffed the Counts of Rieneck with this land. Furthermore, it was home for criminal, political, and disciplinary tribunals. It was the center for the lower Cents (Cent being a regional term for a judicial district). After the fall of Wallhausen in 1247, all rights of the Mother Church of Wallhausen were transferred to Kleinheubach and, by receiving these privileges, the economic and political ascent commenced.
Rule of the Counts of Erbach
In 1455 the old private Rieneck chapel was replaced by a new church building. Governed by the Counts of Erbach, who later inherited the titles of feudal lords, the population kept growing and a further modification and annex to the church became necessary between 1706 and 1710. In medieval times, Kleinheubach flourished while being ruled by the Counts of Erbach, who set up their residence, the Georgenburg, right there; sadly it only lasted until the 30-year-war which brought misery and death as well as the plague and witch craze, all decimating the population so excessively that partly the village was completely vacant. The worst incident during those years of war was the fire of April 24th, 1627, when the city hall and 40 residences were burnt down by looting soldiers, nearly turning Kleinheubach into wasteland.
Reformation and Building of the Lutheran Church St. Martin
In 1556 the Reformation was introduced to Kleinheubach. The current church, St. Martin, which was being renovated between 1974 and 1976, became the church of the Lutheran congregation.
Building the Baroque Palace
The dynasty of Lowenstein acquired the sovereignty of Kleinheubach from the Counts of Erbach. Dominikus Marquard, Count of Lowenstein-Wertheim, commissioned the builders Remy de la Fosse, a Versailles architect, and Johann Dientzenhofer, with the construction of a palace at the exact location of former Georgenburg. The building was completed in 1732, and since then had been headquarters of the Counts of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg. Towards the end of WW II, the palace was damaged and plundered severely. After 1950 the palace had been used as a conference center and educational establishment of the German Post. Meanwhile it is a convention center and closed to public. Since 2004, the palace with its dependences and spacious park has been part of the non-profit foundation ‘Count of Lowenstein’. Alongside you can find the vineyard estate ‘Count Lowenstein’ with a high end vine tasting shop.
After the Liberation Wars, the district Kleinheubach became first Baden but in 1816 was allocated to Bavaria. By integrating the expellees after 1945, the population doubled and today totals at around 3,700 inhabitants.